Education and Care Setting First Aid
Our Education and Care Setting First Aid Course (HLTAID004) is part of the fully accredited first aid training that gives you the knowledge, skills and confidence to respond in an emergency situation. Provide Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care Setting (HLTAID004) is relevant for all staff employed in the childcare and education sector and provides the necessary skills required to provide a first aid response to infants, children as well as adults. This course includes Apply First Aid, Asthma and Anaphylaxis training for students as required for compliance under the Education and Care Services National Law, and the Education and Care Services National Regulation (2011). The course comprises pre-course learning and practical training plus face-to-face training hours.
The candidate must show evidence of the ability to complete tasks outlined in elements and performance criteria of this unit, manage tasks and manage contingencies in the context of the job role. There must be evidence that the candidate has completed the following tasks in line with state/territory regulations, first aid codes of practice, Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines and workplace procedures:
- Followed DRSABCD in line with ARC guidelines, including:
- performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor
- Performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles both compressions and ventilations) on a child resuscitation manikin placed on the floor
- performed at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles both compressions and ventilations) on an infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface
- responded appropriately in the event of regurgitation or vomiting
- managed the unconscious breathing casualty
- followed single rescue procedure, including the demonstration of a rotation of operators with minimal interruptions to compressions
- followed the prompts of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Responded to at least three simulated first aid scenarios contextualised to the candidates workplace/community setting, and involving infants and children of varying ages including:
- conducted a visual and verbal assessment of the casualty
- demonstrated safe manual handling techniques
- post-incident debrief and evaluation
- provided an accurate verbal and written report of the incident
- conducted a hazard assessment and identified strategies to minimise risk
- Applied first aid procedures for the following:
- allergic reaction
- bleeding control
- choking and airway obstruction
- envenomation, using pressure immobilisation
- fractures, sprains and strains, using arm slings, roller bandages or other appropriate immobilisation principles techniques
- head injuries
- respiratory distress, including asthma
- seizures & convulsions, including febrile convulsions and epilepsy
- Located and interpreted workplace policies and procedures
There are no pre- requisites for this Education and Care Setting First Aid course. Students must be at least 14 years of age at the time of attendance.
Important note: In order to issue an accredited certificate CPR must be performed on the floor with no exemptions.
Learn more about the Australian Governments competency and assessment requirements for this course at http://training.gov.au/Training/Details/hltaid004
Our Education and Care Setting First Aid course is available in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide and Australia-wide.
The face to face training is 8 hours and covers both theory and practical aspects of the Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care course. Students are required to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the course commencement or will be refused entry. There is a short break at 11am and lunch is at 1pm. Lunch is not provided at the course.
There is a short multiple choice quiz at the end of the training, covering the practical Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care information learnt that day. Students will also be assessed on practical skills as a requirement to pass the course. Once completed, all students will receive a First Aid manual.
Apply First Aid provides discounted training for groups of 10-22 students at your office or workplace.
Our emergency care trainers are registered nurses, paramedics or emergency services personnel with 10 years of industry experience and guarantee a professional learning experience. State-of-the art CPR manikins are utilised to provide accurate feedback on practical learning and progress and all students must pass the course prior to receiving certification.
Contact our customer service team to book in your group training on 1300 852 475.
On successful completion of the course participants will be issued with a Statement of Attainment for the nationally accredited course – Education and Care Setting First Aid Course HLTAID004.
The HLTAID004 certificate is valid for three (3) years from the completion date. The Australian Resuscitation Council recommends that Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation skills be refreshed annually.
Once enrolled, Healthcorp (on behalf of Apply First Aid) will email students a booking confirmation with venue details, maps, course requirements and terms of enrolment.